Do you have a monthly expense that occurs every month, like an insurance payment or a cable bill? Or perhaps you transfer funds from your checking account to your savings account every two weeks? With the Repeat feature, you can easily create multiple transactions in a single click.
- Example of a repeating transaction
- Options for repeating transactions
Example of a repeating transaction
The following is an example of repeating an $80.00 expense for cable that occurs on the last day of every month in 2016.
To start, type the transaction details, and then select Show Options. Check the Repeat checkbox.
The repeat transaction option displays below.
To repeat the monthly cable expense, change the Frequency to Monthly, select On the Last Day every 1 month(s), and set the time range from January 1 to Dec 31, 2016. .
As shown in the above image, the 12 expenses are immediately created on the last day of every month in 2014. To create those transactions, click on Repeat.
And that is how simple it is to enter 12 transactions all at once!
The above image displays a portion of the repeated transactions. The transactions shown in grey are entered into the software, but are greyed out since they occur in the future.
Note: All repeat transactions are entered immediately when Repeat is selected. This is as opposed to the transactions being created on the date of each transaction. Transactions created in the future will affect the account balances of reports dated past the current date. So, when a Income Statement report for a future date is reviewed, that report will include those expenses that were created in the future.
Options for repeating transactions
When the Repeat checkbox is clicked, the different options are displayed depending on what options were selected. The following is a breakdown of the various available options:
- Transactions that can be repeated: Income, expenses, transfers, and adjustments
- Frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly, annually
- Day options: Can be repeated on the same day (or the last day) of each month (e.g. like the 15th of every month) or on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th of any day of the week (i.e. Monday-Sunday) every week or month (e.g. the 2nd Tuesday of every month)
- Every: Transactions don't have to repeat every day or every month (e.g. Every 3rd month)
- From: Any starting or ending date may be chosen, which allows transactions to be created both in the past and in the future
The following is the maximum amount of transactions that can be created at a time:
- Daily: 31
- Weekly: 30
- Monthly: 30
- Annually: 5