Home > Invoices
To create and manage invoices that you send to your clients in Kashoo, click on Invoices in the menu.
At the top of the screen, summary information on your business's receivables is displayed. This mini-report includes the total amount you've invoiced for the fiscal year, the average time it takes those invoices to be paid, the total for all outstanding invoices, and the total that is past due.
Create an Invoice
To create a new invoice, click on the + New button above the invoice list. This will open the Invoice Editor. When creating a new invoice, the following fields are available to edit:
- Invoice Number
- Invoice Date
- Due Date
- List of invoice items
- About This Invoice memo
The Invoice and Due dates default to the date you create the invoice in Kashoo. Click on the field to change it. In both cases, you can select a day from the calendar. For Due date you can choose to select from the list of standard terms, which will set that date dynamically for you.
If you have more than one item to add to your invoice, click on the the + Add another invoice item link to enter a new item.
If your business is registered to charge sales tax, the taxes for each item will be calculated for you based on the chosen sales taxes. If your business is not registered to charge sales tax, the Tax column will not appear in the items list.
If you have attachments you want to associate with the invoice, you can click on the 3-Dot Menu above the Total in the right pane, or click the Attach link to the right of the "About this invoice" field at the bottom. The two options allow you to choose a file either from your device or from one that has already been uploaded through your Smart Inbox and is now in your Gallery.
The Save button has multiple options. Click on the dropdown icon to the right to choose an option other than the default.
- Save performs an interim save on the current Invoice. This is the default Save button choice. Anything you added to that point will be saved; once the save is complete, the bill window will change to Edit mode so you can continue adding items and updating other details. Remember to save again when you you are finished.
- Save & New will save and close the current invoice, then open a new blank invoice. If you enter multiple invoices into Kashoo in one sitting, this option helps streamline that data entry process.
- Save & Exit saves and closes the invoice you just completed and returns you to the list of all invoices.
- Preview & Send launches a Send Invoice window with a preview of the saved invoice you wish to send for your final review, along with distribution details that you can change.
- Duplicate creates a duplicate of the invoice exactly as shown when the option is selected and then saves and closes the original invoice. The duplicate is now the invoice shown on the screen. You will still need to save the working duplicate invoice after you complete your changes.
Send Invoice Window
The preview of the invoice you will send appears on the right. If your logo has been added to your Business Details page, it will appear above your sender information. The "Issued by:" details, including the billing contact name and address, will come from the Invoicing and Payments page, if you have set them up.
Any information you added to the "About this invoice" field will appear in a Memo at the bottom of the itemized invoice.
The distribution details pane on the left contains several fields:
- Client Name appears at the top. Although "Client" is not a required field to create an invoice, you can not send the invoice without one. If this row is empty, close the window by clicking the X or the Cancel button, then add a client to your invoice; then click Preview & Send from the Save button options again.
- Send to includes the email address of the client to whom the invoice is linked. If no email address has been added, click into the field to type in a valid email address. If you wish, you can send the invoice to multiple people, by typing in more than one email address.
- The Include payment link checkbox will appear if your account has been setup to accept online credit card payments. Check this checkbox if you want the Make a Payment button to appear on the invoice.
- Email Message is an optional message that will appear in the body of the email above the invoice.
Note: The option to accept payment by credit card is only available on invoices that are issued in the home currency of your business (CAD or USD). If you create an invoice in a different currency, you will not have the option to accept payment by credit card on that invoice.
If payments have been received, they will appear below the memo. You can also use the Preview & Send option to send confirmation that the invoice is paid in full. In this case, the Include payment link checkbox will not appear regardless of whether online payments have been setup.
Click on the Send Email button when you are ready.
Pro tip: Provide a list of all transactions for the customer by generating an Activity statement for them.
Related article: Client Statements
For payments that have been deposited to a connected bank account, Kashoo recommends not entering the payment manually. Instead, wait for the payment to be received through the bank feed, and it will be matched to the invoice automatically.
Click on the green Payment Match Found icon, to open the payment match window.
You will have a chance to review the details of the matched payment to confirm it should be associated with your invoice.
If you are not anticipating an exact deposit for balances due on your invoice, click the Payments button to enter a payment manually.
For manually entered payments, the funds can be categorized as coming from an Undeposited Funds or a Cash account. Just be sure to categorize any corresponding deposits that will be used to pay that invoice as transfers to your Undeposited Funds or Cash account when they are received, so they match.
Multiple payments can be associated with an Invoice. When each payment is made, Kashoo indicates the updated balance in the upper right of the Invoice Payments window.
Incorrect payments can be removed from the Invoice Payments by clicking the delete icon to the right of the relevant payment in the Payment History list at the bottom of the window. Manually entered payments will be deleted. But matched payments will be returned to the Inbox so they may be matched to other invoices, or categorized as needed.
Delete an Invoice
There are 2 ways to delete an invoice.
One or more invoices can be selected from the Invoices list or the Contact's transactions list by clicking on the checkbox preceding the items, then clicking the delete icon above the list.
While viewing an invoice, you can delete it by choosing the Remove option from the 3-Dot Menu in the upper right of the Edit Invoice screen.
In both cases, a window will confirm you want to remove the items before completing the deletion.
Related article: Contacts
Working with the Invoices List
You can sort and filter the invoices associated with your business, and make inline edits to most of the values in the list. A color-coded payment status of your invoices in the STATUS column provides an at-a-glance indication of each invoice's A/R status. And the green Payment Match Found icon next to the Client column indicates that Kashoo has found a payment that can be applied to that invoice.
Sort the List
The Invoices list can be sorted by any column except CLEINT and STATUS. The initial sort is identified by the column title shown in blue. An arrow after the column title indicates the sort direction - ascending or descending.
To change the sort, click on the preferred column title. To change the sort direction, click the column label again.
Filter the List
By default the list shows All invoices. If you want to narrow the view by a specific group of invoices that are Paid, Current, or Past Due, click on the corresponding button above the list.
To do a more refined filter, click on the Filter button to launch the Edit Filter window. Here too you can choose to view all invoices, or focus on Paid, Current, or Past Due invoices by clicking on that button option. Then choose a start and/or end date, and/or a minimum or maximum amount as desired. Click on the Apply button to continue.
The button will now say Filtered and will turn blue. To return to the full list after you are finished working with the filtered results, reopen the Filter window and click on the Clear Filter button. You can also refresh the browser tab.
Edit Values in the List
Several values can be edited inline directly within the list. Click on the value to begin the edit.
- INVOICE # can be changed directly.
- DATE & DATE DUE will show you a calendar; search the calendar, then click on the date to select it.
- CLIENT will show you your Contact list; scroll to find the replacement or begin typing a Contact name to dynamically filter the list.
Each edited row will be checked. When you are finished click on the checkmark action icon above the list to save the changes.